Preschool 04 Lead Teacher – Englewood
POSTING DATE: 09/30/2017 CLOSING DATE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Department: The Preschool Center at Englewood
Responsible for supervising a classroom team in planning, organizing and implementing developmentally appropriate curriculum for preschool and/or Head Start Children. Work with 3 to 5-year-old children in groups and individually according to IL learning standards. Demonstrate leadership in creating a positive team within the classroom and throughout the department. Lead teachers serve as ambassadors for the school and the agency.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise classroom team members. Demonstrate leadership in creating a positive and collaborative team.
- Serve as leaders in the school and represent themselves as ambassadors for the whole school in relationship to all parents, and volunteers as well as to the whole agency.
- Supervise and lead classroom team in preparation and implementation of lesson plans for classroom activities covering all developmental areas: language, cognitive, physical, personal, social/emotional and creative. Explore new curriculum ideas and implement the Project Approach along with the Creative Curriculum.
- Create an atmosphere in which children can learn, grow, build self-esteem, and in which they can feel secure. Adapt curriculum and provides leadership for planning and implementation of activities to meet each child’s individual needs. Provide leadership to classroom team with assessment of needs of individual children. Collaborate with the Service Review Team (SRT) in initiating referrals for special needs children.
- Attend and participate in regular staff meetings.
- Organize and facilitate classroom team meetings.
- Participate in child staffings. Organize and facilitate three formal parent-teacher conferences, and/or informal conversation throughout the year as appropriate. Establish and maintains effective working relationships with parents.
- Complete two home visits preschool year. First home visit must be completed before child attends in program.
- Observe, document and report appropriate aspects of and changes in child’s health, including but not limited to injuries, changes in physical appearance and/or social behaviors.
- Discuss and maintain records of child observation and child evaluations through Teaching Strategies Gold, Copa and Educational Folders.
- Share classroom and program information with parents. Attend and participate in parent meetings, trainings, and other special events as needed.
- Organize and/or delegate administrative record keeping, including daily attendance and food forms, and evaluates quality of child care services provided, reporting regularly to Center Director.
- Collaborate with other program staff around the ordering and purchasing of supplies.
- With classroom team, responsible for room arrangements and proper care of classroom equipment. Maintain safe, neat and orderly, and sanitary environment.
- Maintain knowledge current in the field, including attendance at seminars, workshops and in service training programs.
- Provide training to classroom team.
- Participate in program, agency and staff committees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education/Child Development from an accredited college. Teachers in the 3 to 5 year old classroom must have a Type 04 certification with an endorsement in English as a Second Language.
- Minimum of one year supervisory experience and one year of teaching experience.
- Relates well with children and adults.
- Strong people skills.
- Excellent computer knowledge.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work with culturally diverse populations.
- Function well in group and team settings.
- Committed to continuous improvement of service quality and the organization’s mission.
- Possess interpersonal skills that excel in cultural sensitivity and respect for differences.
This is a full-time exempt position.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit an updated resume and cover letter to Pamela Flowers-Thomas via email at PFlowers@CCCsociety.org. NO phone calls, please.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER